Miss Murray’s Class News 5/28/21
We had a wonderful week in Kindergarten! Take a look at what we were up to.
Sight Words: Our two sight words this week: time and has.
Phonics: We continue studying consonant blends – groups of two or three consonants in words that make a sound. This week we introduced r blends: ‘pr’ ‘dr’ ‘tr’ and ‘br’ blends. We identified these words in poems, read them in decodable books, spelled them with “secret codes”, wrote them like a rainbow, and connected math by playing scrabble spelling.
Literacy Centers: This week at the library center, students read decodables and picture books by themselves. At the iPad center, students worked on sounding out CVC words, spelling, letter formation, and some listened to and followed along with stories from the Bible. At the phonics center, students continue to work on sight words, and making words and writing complete sentences. At the guided reading center, students worked on reading comprehension by highlighting answers to questions and then writing the answers in a complete sentence. Some of us read the book Glenda the Lion and identified sight words and words with our new consonant blends. We wrote a list of consonant blend words we read in the story.
Writer’s Workshop: This week we worked on sentence structure and adding detail to our stories! We are asking ourselves the “W” questions when we write: Where did you go? Who were you with? What did you do? When did you go? These are helping students add detail and write more than one sentence when writing a story!
Math: This week we worked on Chapter 10: Positions. The essential question is: how do I identify positions? We explored this by using manipulatives to show above, below, next to, in front of, and behind. We continue to work on mastery of addition and subtraction within 10. Keep practicing math facts at home!
Science: This week we began our unit on forces and motion! We are learning about push and pull. In order for an object to move or change direction, it needs a force!
We continue to observe our zinnia plants and record our observations in our plant observation journal! We also planted our lima beans and read a mini-book on the lifecycle of lima beans!
Common Core Standards we’re working on:
- I can count to 100 by ones and tens.
- I can write numbers 0 to 20.
- I can write a number to tell about a group of 0 to 20 things.
- I can understand that words have spaces between them.
- I can find and say the beginning, middle and last sound of simple words.
- I can read common sight words.
- I can read emergent level text with purpose and understanding.
- With prompting and support, I can ask and answer questions about key details in text.
- I can spell simple words phonetically.
- I can read CVC words.
- I can speak audibly and express thoughts, feelings and ideas clearly.
- I can tell how the words and pictures go together in stories.
- I can draw or write to help me share what I think.
- I can print lots of upper and lowercase letters.
- I can write complete sentences.
- I can identify ending punctuation marks.
- I can sort words into categories.
- I can change sounds in simple, one-syllable words to make new words.
- I can represent addition and subtraction with objects, fingers, mental images and drawings.
- I can describe measurable attributes of objects, such as length or weight.
- Monday, May 31st – No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 9th – Kindergarten Graduation drive by celebration, 4:30pm. More details to come!
- Friday, June 11th – Last Day of School. 10:30am dismissal