Miss Murray’s Class News 3/26/21
We had a busy week in Kindergarten! Take a look at what we were up to this week.
Sight Words: Our two sight words this week: up and other.
Phonics: Word families -eg –et –en.
Literacy Centers: This week at the library center, students read decodables and picture books. At the iPad center, students worked on sounding out CVC words, spelling, letter formation, and listened to and followed along with stories from the Bible. At the phonics center, students made real words and “alien words” using a word wheel, read word family books, and played various phonics games. At the guided reading center, students continued to work on comprehension checks, CVC word games, and reading stories.
Math: This week, we began chapter 8: Measurement. We learned about shorter and longer, taller and shorter, heavier and lighter, and “holds more” and “holds less.” We used our scales as well as objects with different capacities. We continue to master our addition and subtraction facts to 10 and skip counted by 2s, 5s and 10s.
Writer’s Workshop: In celebration of the first day of spring on Saturday, we wrote acrostic poems about spring! Every day, we have been using our five senses to make and share observations of signs of spring, so brainstorming words for this poem came quickly for our students! Since we have been experiencing first hand one sign up spring – rain, we wrote down what we like to do on a rainy day! Some students like to be cozy inside and some like to jump in puddles! Ask your child what they like to do on a rainy day!
Science: We extended the knowledge we learned last week about the water cycle and were very excited to learn about and observe clouds this week! We learned that a cloud is a form of condensation. We learned that scientists categorize clouds into three different types – cumulus, stratus and cirrus. We created each type of cloud using cotton balls to show our learning.
Religion: We continue to reflect on our Lenten journey. We continue learning about the Stations of the Cross in class. As a class, we discuss each station while we listen to how Jesus was feeling and doing during that time.
- Here is the link to learn more about how you can bring the CRS Rice Bowl to life at home:
Common Core Standards we are working on:
- I can count to 100 by ones and tens.
- I can write numbers 0 to 20.
- I can write a number to tell about a group of 0 to 20 things.
- I can understand that words have spaces between them.
- I can find and say the beginning, middle and last sound of simple words.
- I can read common sight words.
- I can read emergent level text with purpose and understanding.
- With prompting and support, I can ask and answer questions about key details in text.
- I can spell simple words phonetically.
- I can read CVC words.
- I can speak audibly and express thoughts, feelings and ideas clearly.
- I can tell how the words and pictures go together in stories.
- I can draw or write to help me share what I think.
- I can print lots of upper and lowercase letters.
- I can write complete sentences.
- I can identify ending punctuation marks.
- I can sort words into categories.
- I can change sounds in simple, one-syllable words to make new words.
- I can represent addition and subtraction with objects, fingers, mental images and drawings.
- Friday, April 2nd – Good Friday, Noon Dismissal
- April 5th – 9th – Easter Break, No School