Miss Murray’s Class News 4/2/21
We had fun in Kindergarten this week! Students were busy creating poems, writing stories, and watching our school musical online! Check out what else we have been up to!
Sight Words: out and about
Phonics: Word families –ed, -et, -eg, and –ell. See if you can find these word families in stories you read at home!
Literacy Centers: This week at the phonics center, students enjoyed opening Easter eggs and creating words with different word families! At the sight word center, students put mixed up sentences back together. They also picked a writing prompt using a word bank to create a story. At the guided reading center, we worked on reading in our decodables and answering comprehension questions by finding evidence within the text with highlighters.
Writer’s Workshop: We are excited and preparing for Easter! On Monday, students colored an Easter egg. As a class, we brainstormed adjectives to describe our eggs, such as bright, oval, and striped! Using these adjectives students wrote a poem titled “My Egg.” Ask your child to describe their egg to you using adjectives!
We also read a book about the Easter bunny and wrote a story using the prompt, “If I were the Easter bunny…” Ask your child what they would do if they turned into the Easter bunny!
We continue to focus on including 4 things to make our sentences complete-
- Capital letters at the beginning of a sentence.
- Spaces between words.
- Period at the end of a sentence.
- Mostly lowercase letters.
Math: We continue our unit on Measurement! We use unifix cubes to help us compare and contrast different lengths of objects. We use our class scale to compare the weight of objects! We continue to master addition and subtraction to 10 using number lines, counters, and mental math!
STEM: In honor of our upcoming holiday, students were given the task of creating a tower using jelly beans and toothpicks! Ask your child how they made their tall tower stand up!
Religion: We continued to reflect on our Lenten journey. We finished learning about the Stations of the Cross in class. As a class, we discussed each station while we listen to how Jesus was feeling and doing during that time.
Common Core Standards we are working on:
- I can count to 100 by ones and tens.
- I can write numbers 0 to 20.
- I can write a number to tell about a group of 0 to 20 things.
- I can understand that words have spaces between them.
- I can find and say the beginning, middle and last sound of simple words.
- I can read common sight words.
- I can read emergent level text with purpose and understanding.
- With prompting and support, I can ask and answer questions about key details in text.
- I can spell simple words phonetically.
- I can read CVC words.
- I can speak audibly and express thoughts, feelings and ideas clearly.
- I can tell how the words and pictures go together in stories.
- I can draw or write to help me share what I think.
- I can print lots of upper and lowercase letters.
- I can write complete sentences.
- I can identify ending punctuation marks.
- I can sort words into categories.
- I can change sounds in simple, one-syllable words to make new words.
- I can represent addition and subtraction with objects, fingers, mental images and drawings.
- Friday, April 2nd – Good Friday, Noon Dismissal
- April 5th – 9th – Easter Break, No School