Miss Murray’s Class News 4/23/21
We had a wonderful week in kindergarten! We were so excited for the arrival of our caterpillars and loved talking about ways to take care of our Earth on Earth Day! Take a look at what else we were up to.
Sight Words: so and some
Phonics: We began studying consonant blends – groups of two or three consonants in a word that make a sound. With a consonant blend, you can still hear the sounds of each letter, just blended together! Unlike a digraph (sh, ch) where two letters go together to make a whole new sound. This week we introduced the ‘st’ blend. Ask your child if they can tell you a word that begins with “st.”
Literacy Centers: This week we continued with iPads, sight word center, independent reading, reading groups, and phonics center. At our phonics center, students played Zingo, a word building game. Students continue to read along with stories on the iPads and read books independently in the library center. We continue to work hard during reading groups. Students are doing an amazing job sounding out words, comprehending what they’ve read, and choosing “just right” books!
Writer’s Workshop: We continue to write fiction and nonfiction stories in our writing journals! Some of us are making our own comics, while others are writing about sports they like to play. Keep up the hard work, kindergarten!
We continue to focus on including 4 things to make our sentences complete-
- Capital letters at the beginning of a sentence.
- Spaces between words.
- Period at the end of a sentence.
- Mostly lowercase letters.
Math: This week we continued to create objects with 2-D shapes. We also spent some time on making AB, AAB and ABC patterns. We are continuing to practice using complete sentences to explain our math thinking, as well as master addition and subtraction to 10.
Science: We continued to observe the amazing cycle of a butterfly’s life in our classroom. We are scientists and keeping an observation journal, drawing realistic pictures of our caterpillars, and writing what they observe! We also wrote about what butterflies can do, have, and need! Ask your child what butterflies can do, what they have, and what they need! We continue to look at the life cycle of a butterfly. Students cut and pasted the lifecycle on a sentence strip. They also used different types of pasta to re-tell the life cycle. Look for this in your child’s Friday folder!
Religion: In honor of our upcoming Crowning of Mary liturgy, we talked about Mother Mary! We know that Mary loves us like a mother and we can always pray to her when we need to. We prayed the Hail Mary and filled out the prayer so we can read it all on our own!
Common Core Standards we are working on:
- I can count to 100 by ones and tens.
- I can write numbers 0 to 20.
- I can write a number to tell about a group of 0 to 20 things.
- I can understand that words have spaces between them.
- I can find and say the beginning, middle and last sound of simple words.
- I can read common sight words.
- I can read emergent level text with purpose and understanding.
- With prompting and support, I can ask and answer questions about key details in text.
- I can spell simple words phonetically.
- I can read CVC words.
- I can speak audibly and express thoughts, feelings and ideas clearly.
- I can tell how the words and pictures go together in stories.
- I can draw or write to help me share what I think.
- I can print lots of upper and lowercase letters.
- I can write complete sentences.
- I can identify ending punctuation marks.
- I can sort words into categories.
- I can change sounds in simple, one-syllable words to make new words.
- I can represent addition and subtraction with objects, fingers, mental images and drawings.
- I can use objects or drawings to show that I can solve addition/subtraction word problems up to 10
- I can add numbers within 5
- I can subtract numbers within 5
- Monday, May 31st – No School, Memorial Day
- June 9th – Kindergarten Graduation drive by celebration, more information to come!
- June 11th – Last day of school. Dismissal 10:30am.