Miss Murray’s Class News 5/7/21
We had a very exciting week! Our chrysalises finally hatched into butterflies! We welcomed 4 beautiful painted lady butterflies to our classroom family. The kids were SO patient and were ecstatic to finally watch them hatch. Take a look at what else we did this week.
Sight Words: her and would
Phonics: This week we focused on consonant blends sc, sn, and sw.
Literacy Centers: This week we continued with iPads, sight word center, independent reading, reading groups, and phonics center. At our phonics center, students played Zingo, a word building game, sorted vowels, wrote sight words, and played sight word JENGA! Students continue to read along with stories on the iPads and read books independently in the library center. We continue to work hard during reading groups. Students are doing an amazing job sounding out words, comprehending what they’ve read, and choosing “just right” books!
Writer’s Workshop: This week we wrote a story, “If I were a butterfly…” and created our own decorative butterflies to go with our stories. Some students wrote they would fly from flower to flower to sip nectar and others would fly to Mexico during the winter to stay warm! We continue to observe the amazing cycle of a butterfly’s life in our classroom and record our observations.
We continue to focus on including 4 things to make our sentences complete-
- Capital letters at the beginning of a sentence.
- Spaces between words.
- Period at the end of a sentence.
- Mostly lowercase letters.
Math: This week, we finished up Chapter 11 on 2-D objects! Next week we will begin Chapter 12, 3-D objects. We continue to master addition and subtraction facts to 10 and show our thinking using manipulatives in the classroom!
Science: On Wednesday, we began our study of plants! We learned the basic parts of a plant – root, stem, leaves and petals. We then conducted an experiment using celery, water, and food coloring. Students drew and wrote a hypothesis about what would happen, observed it for a day, and then recorded our observations. They noticed that the leaves on the celery turned the color of the water they were in. The celery showed us how plants take in nutrients!
Our chrysalises finally hatched into butterflies! The kids got to observe our butterflies right up close and make connections about all the facts we’ve learned about their life cycle, body parts and functions, eating habits, symmetry, defense mechanisms and witness the miracle of God’s gift to us. On Tuesday, we set them free and completed our butterfly observation science journal.
Religion: We are learning about different miracles Jesus has performed! This week we read one story in particular, about Jesus helping a blind man see. We learned that Jesus is “The Light of the World.” Light allows us to see!
To honor Mother Mary, students placed a flower beside Mary in the Church!
Common Core Standards we are working on:
- I can count to 100 by ones and tens.
- I can write numbers 0 to 20.
- I can write a number to tell about a group of 0 to 20 things.
- I can understand that words have spaces between them.
- I can find and say the beginning, middle and last sound of simple words.
- I can read common sight words.
- I can read emergent level text with purpose and understanding.
- With prompting and support, I can ask and answer questions about key details in text.
- I can spell simple words phonetically.
- I can read CVC words.
- I can speak audibly and express thoughts, feelings and ideas clearly.
- I can tell how the words and pictures go together in stories.
- I can draw or write to help me share what I think.
- I can print lots of upper and lowercase letters.
- I can write complete sentences.
- I can identify ending punctuation marks.
- I can sort words into categories.
- I can change sounds in simple, one-syllable words to make new words.
- I can represent addition and subtraction with objects, fingers, mental images and drawings.
- I can use objects or drawings to show that I can solve addition/subtraction word problems up to 10
- I can add numbers within 5
- I can subtract numbers within 5
- Monday, May 31st – No School, Memorial Day
- June 9th – Kindergarten Graduation drive by celebration. More details to come.
- June 11th – Last day of school. Dismissal 10:30am.